VMware Cloud Community
abugeja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vSwitch & DVS config

Looking at moving to DVS from standard vSwitch but i am wanting to continue to use vSwitch for vMotion/Management then all the Virtual machine traffic connect to the DVS. I remember this used to be best practise as DVS wasnt as stable a number of year ago. Wanting to know if this is still how people configure their hosts now or does everyone just have it all in a single DVS now?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
T180985
Expert
Expert

For ease of configuration across multiple hosts, I would use separate dVS switches for Management traffic & VM traffic but ultimately if you don't need the features of dVS and don't mind the admin work then there is no issue with you keeping management on a standard switch

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. How to post effectively on VMTN https://communities.vmware.com/people/daphnissov/blog/2018/12/05/how-to-ask-for-help-on-tech-forums
0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

distributed vSwitches are always been stable in every version of vSphere. Instability related to the design and implementing NOT architecture.

First of all, you should prepare a plan for VDS migration! Then start the migration step by step (I recorded and capture related videos and publish it in my channel)

VMware mentioned:

"vSphere network switches can be divided into two logical sections: the data plane and the management plane. The data plane implements packet switching, filtering, tagging and so on. The management plane is the control structure used by the operator to configure data plane functionality. Each vSphere Standard Switch (VSS) contains both data and management planes, and the administrator configures and maintains each switch individually."

Then remember it, the management plane of VDS belong to the vCenter server but the data plane still exist in the ESXi host (please don't be confused between their roles)

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem