VMware Cloud Community
franckehret
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere 7.0 dual 10GB/s design questions

Hi there,

As I'm updating my home lab network, I'm also changing my concept. All my vSphere 7U1 hosts will get 2x10 GB/s NICs for Christmas! All 10GB/s NICs will be connected on the same switch. But I'l also have the possibility to use 4x1GB/s on another switch.

For now, I'm considering the option 2 of this document: https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2011/12/vds-best-practices-rack-server-deployment-with-two-10-gigab... so one VDS with a Dynamic Configuration with NIOC and LBT.

But as I said, I can use 4x1GB/s NICs and I'm wondering if this would be beneficial to have Management and FT traffics on dedicated NICs (2 each). This would give me more shares to distribute for instance on iSCSI and vMotion.

Also, I've the possibility to create LACP bonds to replace LBT. Now with 7.0U1, I'm wondering if it would be nice (was not necessarily the case before)

The remaining questions are then:

• Which design would you choose (use of the 1GB/s NICs for Mgt & FT or not)?
  • What would be the pros/cons of LACP against LBT (I don't mind the extra configuration effort, it's my lab)?

In advance, many thanks for your replies, I'm looking forward to hear from you! 😉

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
franckehret
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Edit and answer : with iSCSI, you can't use LACP... 😉

And I choose to separate Management from the the rest,, but the decision is comming from the lack of trust in Ubiquiti (too new for me, might change in the future).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@franckehret 

Moderator: Moved to vSphere vNetwork Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
franckehret
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Edit and answer : with iSCSI, you can't use LACP... 😉

And I choose to separate Management from the the rest,, but the decision is comming from the lack of trust in Ubiquiti (too new for me, might change in the future).

0 Kudos