VMware Cloud Community
ditro2001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere 5 network configuration with 10 nics and two physical HP switches

We'll be rolling out our first vSphere 5 servers with 10 nics in each of the 4 ESX Hosts and I have questions as to how to best  configure the networking.

All hosts have 10 1GB nics

My first tought was to build 4 vswitches

vswitch0:

Management Network VLAN10

VM Network VLAN10

vmnic0 + vmnic1 to physical switch1

vmnic6 + vmnic7 to physical switch2

vswitch1:

DMZ VLAN20

vmnic2 to physical switch1

vmnic8 to physical switch2

vswitch2:

vMotion

vmnic4 to a dedicated vmotion switch

vswitch3:

Backup Network with NFS for Veeam VLAN30

vmnic3 to physical switch1

vmnic9 to physical switch2

Now my questions.

Are there some design improvments? What should I do better?

Physical Switch Configuratoin:

Do I have to configure a etherchannel between the nics vmnic0,1,6 and7 and change the policy to route based on IP hash?

Do I put the vswitch0 with active and standby nics or should I use all nics in active state?

If it is better to work with active and standy which nics do I change to standby?

Thank you for your help

regards

Dennis

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
arturka
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

hi

I would do something like that, see attachment

vMotion and mgmt into one vSwitch with active\standby approach - vLAN trunking must be done on pSwitch port

DMZ over two vmnics Active/Active

VM_LAN - over 4 vmnics all Active

backup - 2 vmincs - Active/Active

All critical networks (mgmt. vMotion, VM_LAN and DMZ) are redundant (split between 2 quad port adapters) + backup LAN flowing over embedded adapter

No ether channel - I have never seen network saturated by VM traffic - here you have 4 vmnics so will work fine

Blog_10_vmNIC_HP.jpg

VCDX77 My blog - http://vmwaremine.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
49 Replies
arturka
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Dennis,

Can you post vmnic hardware configuration (which one is embedded, which ones is on extension cards) something like:

vmnic0, vmnic1 - embedded

vmnic2, vmnic3 - dual port nic  etc

will be easier to desing better solution for you

0 Kudos
ditro2001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI Arthur,

yes of cause

vmnic0, vmnic1, vmnic2, vmnic3 Intel82580 QuadPort Card

vmnic4, vmnic5 Intel I350 embedded

vmnic6, vmnic7, vmnic8, vmnic9 Intel82580 QuadPort Card

The physical switches are from HP

One time a HP2848 and the other one is a HP2910-al

cheers

Dennis

0 Kudos
arturka
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

hi

I would do something like that, see attachment

vMotion and mgmt into one vSwitch with active\standby approach - vLAN trunking must be done on pSwitch port

DMZ over two vmnics Active/Active

VM_LAN - over 4 vmnics all Active

backup - 2 vmincs - Active/Active

All critical networks (mgmt. vMotion, VM_LAN and DMZ) are redundant (split between 2 quad port adapters) + backup LAN flowing over embedded adapter

No ether channel - I have never seen network saturated by VM traffic - here you have 4 vmnics so will work fine

Blog_10_vmNIC_HP.jpg

0 Kudos
ditro2001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Arthur,

thank you very much for the szenario 😉

Why do you seperate the mgmt traffic from the VM Traffic?

performance? Security?

regards

Dennis

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It's for both performance as well as for security

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
ditro2001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

next question is why do you do the mgmt together with the vmotion with a active/standby configuration and Not active actice Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This is because for the managment suppose nic1 is active and nic2 is passive and for vmotion vmkernel port nic2 is active and nic1 is passive this is done to provide a dedicated nic for their traffic and in case of failure passive means standby becomes the active adapter. If both of these are active then may be both vmkernel ports can use the same nic for sending the traffic.

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I would go with arturka suggestion, in additiona take a look at this vSphere Host NIC Design - 10 NICs

Are you using FC or IP based storage?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
ditro2001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am using fc based storage Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

ditro2001 wrote:

Physical Switch Configuratoin:

Do I have to configure a etherchannel between the nics vmnic0,1,6 and7 and change the policy to route based on IP hash?

No, do not change this and do not configure any link aggregation on the physical switches (called "trunk" on HP Procurve devices). The suggestions above are very good and will get you both good performance and fail over capacity in case of switch reboot/failure/power loss.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
arturka
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

thank you very much for the szenario 😉

hi

you are very welcome,

if you have additional questions don't hesitate to post them 🙂

BTW, your topic is a good "material" for blog post 😉

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Artur,

one small question,  what would you recommend as the traffic balancing algorithm for the VMnetwork. also why not have a DVS for that environment.  also why no etherchannel??  I am curious.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Tom Howarth wrote:

also why no etherchannel??

Not speaking for Artur, but with HP Procurve switches you can not create an etherchannel (HP "trunk") that spans two physical switches, which would make you without fault tolerance.

0 Kudos
arturka
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Tom,

My desing is based on my experience and from blogs which are owned by more experienced engineers than myself

Anyway, see my comments below:

one small question,  what would you recommend as the traffic balancing algorithm for the VMnetwork.

for vSS- Rout based on orginal port ID

for vDS - LBT

also why not have a DVS for that environment.

I made assumption that user know what he is asking for, in his question he mentioned only vSS so I assumed that he does not has an E+ license

also why no etherchannel??  I am curious.

etherchannel would be an option, it is possible to create two etherchannels, one with vmnic2 and vmnic8 and second with vmnic3 and vmnic9, most probably it will work, but I don't know what will happen if one network port will went down from etherchannel ? how ESX will behaive ?, I read (on yellow bricks blog) that it might be a problem

So in general, on a community and also on my blog I always gives advices which I'm sure that it will work for 100%.

Tom, if you know that it would work with etherchannel, you can advice user to use it. But, I don't see big benefits to have etherchannel created (for VM traffic) over standard approach without it

0 Kudos
ditro2001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

BTW, your topic is a good "material" for blog post 😉

Thank you very much.

I do not have my own blogs. Don't hesitate to post it on your blog. I think many people do have the same questions.

cheers

Dennis

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Artur wrote:

It is possible to create two etherchannels, one with vmnic2 and vmnic8 and second with vmnic3 and vmnic9, most probably it will work,

In my opinion it would not work in this situation. All vmnics from the vSwitch with IP Hash are required to be attached to the same physical switch, otherwise it would create massive flapping of MAC addresses on the physical network.

0 Kudos
arturka
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

thanks for clarification, that's why I wrote "most probably" 🙂 becuse I have never test it

0 Kudos
ditro2001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ranjna Aggarwal schrieb:

This is because for the managment suppose nic1 is active and nic2 is passive and for vmotion vmkernel port nic2 is active and nic1 is passive this is done to provide a dedicated nic for their traffic and in case of failure passive means standby becomes the active adapter. If both of these are active then may be both vmkernel ports can use the same nic for sending the traffic.

So I configure the nics within the portgroups and not for the whole vswitch, right?

Portgroup MGMT vmnic0 with standby nic vmnic6 and

Portgroup vMotion with vmnix6 with standy nic vmnic0 right?

Why is the "trunk" in the picture?

regards

0 Kudos
arturka
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

So I configure the nics within the portgroups and not for the whole vswitch, right?

right

Portgroup MGMT vmnic0 with standby nic vmnic6 and

Portgroup vMotion with vmnix6 with standy nic vmnic0 right?

right, mgmt - vmnic0 standby - vmnic6 - Active

vMOTION - vmnic0 Active, - vmnic6 - standby

Why is the "trunk" in the picture?

that might be little confusing, is to let you know that to physical port where vmnic is conencted  you must trunk vLANs (for vMotion and mgmt traffic)

Artur