VMware Cloud Community
rip10552
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere (5.5) Lab network IP Mask re-configuration - Help

Hi

I have a home ESXi 5.5 home lab consisting of 3 ESXi hosts (Physical). One is running OpenFiler as an iSCSI SAN for the other two hosts. All hosts are connected to a vCenter Server (VM) running on my laptop.

For the VM network I am currently using a 192.168.2.0/27 but this only gives me 30 (hosts). I want to keep the IP range but change the mask to 24 bit (254 hosts). The hosts, guests & vCenter server are on the same subnet. There are no VLANS for any of the VMkernel's or port groups. I’m aware of the changes I need to make on my router/switch.

I am unsure of the order to make the mask changes to the hosts & vCenter server.

I would appreciate if someone can recommend a specific order including details how I should make the mask changes. Also what issues am I likely to encounter?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BudC
Contributor
Contributor

I would start with your vcenter then change your hosts. Also if you no do not change the gateway it will go very smoothly.

We had to do the same we needed to change our management and vmotion ips as they where a /27 in production.....

0 Kudos
rip10552
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. As you have already completed a mask change I had some additional questions maybe you can answer.

I'm only changing the mask.  IP's & Gateway remain the same.

1. Did you disconnects the hosts from vCenter before the mask?

2. After changing the vCenter mask did you have to make any changes to VUM, Auto Deploy files?

3. I have a Host acting as A SAN do I change the mask of the SAN 1st?

4. On the SAN would there be nay other changes I need to make?

3. Did you have a rollback plan?

Regards

0 Kudos
BudC
Contributor
Contributor

1.  I did not

2. We do not have VUM/Auto Deploy yet (its in progress)

3. I would think so, we have a fiber channel san so that did not affect us.

4. See #3

5. The mask we changed was management and vMotion I added a second ip with the new subnet on the management side to make sure we could get in it.

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Always follow the upgrade guide for making any changes. Basically, you do things in a specific order based on the VMware products you are using. Order is within KB #2109760

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009-2015

Author of the books 'VMWare ESX and ESXi in the Enterprise: Planning Deployment Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2011 Pearson Education. 'VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing the Virtual Environment', Copyright 2009 Pearson Education.

Virtualization and Cloud Security Analyst: The Virtualization Practice, LLC -- vSphere Upgrade Saga -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos