VMware Cloud Community
Alextec_Consult
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere 4 / VM Dropping Network Connection when copying files larger than 2-3 MB

All,

Did anyone encountered loosing network connection issue when copying larger files from your VM's.

I have Home Lab, running vSphere 4 on 2 hosts attached to OpenFiler NFS SAN

Network cards are dual MT1000 Server Adapters, and SATA controller is LSI3041 I beleive, 8GB Ram,rest is regular home clone pc. Running 8 VM's in total...

I am using el chipo 8 port Linksys gigabit switch.

Basically what happens is that copy starts from file server, and after copying 5% of the file, pings to the servers start to drop, and file copy aborts.

While file copy, I shortly lose connection to all of the VM's on that host, including ESX host. No diference if the Vm is on the OpenFiler SAN or on the Local Host Datastores.

I changed network Switch, all of the cables and still having same issue.

Any ideas? I appreciate the answers...

Update* - Tested copy with Teracopy, and found that copy is fine as long as I try to copy files less than 2MB... This smells as some buffer issue, it I can only pinpoint where/what to tweak...

ANYONE Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Alextec_Consult
Contributor
Contributor

Got it working....

I separated VMotion traffic on separate NIC, and all is fine.

Strange considering that I have such small number of VM's on the farm...

0 Kudos
howie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you provide more info so that we can get to the bottom of the real issue. What virtual NIC are you using? problem goes away if you change the virtual nic type to another? how reproducible when you had vmotion on the same vswitch?

0 Kudos
Alextec_Consult
Contributor
Contributor

No worries. Problem resolved by separating Vmotion network on new vSwitch and Separate NIC.

If I can only fix WOL now Smiley Happy

Thanks

0 Kudos
howie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry but you are only hiding the problem. Smiley Happy If the problem is still there, it will be nice to understand why.

0 Kudos
Alextec_Consult
Contributor
Contributor

I tried all 3 Virtual NIC types on the Server 2008 with same result..

Mind that I was loosing pings to the management IP as well.

I tried to put Vmotion back to sane physical NIC, and got same results..

0 Kudos