VMware Cloud Community
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vDS and vMotion issue no pings

hi guys

ESX 4.1 update 1

I was putting a server into maintenance mode and when all the VMs were vmotioned some VMs had issues and they lost connection...

I see this issue occurs in a specific dvportGroup

I've check there are enough ports(128 and just 15 VMs) and these are in Static Binding....

I see in Networking -> dvPortGroup -> Link Status is UP.

so any idea how to troubleshoot this

right now I am testing a VM is was working fine in all hosts and started my test.

ESX04 - VM was pingable

vmotioned ESX05 lost ping

vmotion ESX06 still no ping

I had to take it back to be pingable

thanks aguys

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

Do you have VLANs for different portgroups on the vDS?

Have many uplinks do you have from the distributed switch on each host?

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
markymark007
Contributor
Contributor

How many vDSUplinks do you have?  If you have more then one try dropping one back to standby and try again.

This could be an ARP issue on your switches.

0 Kudos
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I found this vDS has 4 vmnics vmnic6-9 when testing each vmnic individually I found only NIC 7 and 9 have access to all VLANs but vmnics 6 and 8 has no access  to a specif VLAN.... I am asumming these vmnics 6 and 8 has no access to that VLAN since when configuring an IP(VM and an IP for that VLAN) for the specific VLAN I get no pings at all and when switching to vmnics 7 and 9 I get pings so I think vnmnic 6 and 8 has not access to this VLAN....

that's what I see from vMware but my network guys just showed me that all these NICs are etherchannels and all have access to all VLANs.... so I am pretty confused here

this is an Dell Blade using PowerEdge M910

0 Kudos
vGuy
Expert
Expert

WIth static Etherchannel on the pSwitch, the only supported load balancing policy is IP HASH. You may want to check the policy, just in case...

kb: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100404...

0 Kudos
kopper27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

good point I am going to change to IP hash.... ate least someting to try....

even thought other VLANs are working just fine

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

kopper27 wrote:

good point I am going to change to IP hash.... ate least someting to try....

even thought other VLANs are working just fine

vGuy is correct and this is very important. You must use the IP hash policy if the remote side is setup as Etherchannel.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos