VMware Cloud Community
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vDS and Disconnecting a Host

I'm running vSphere 5 with some hosts on a vDS.  I need to replace my vCenter certificate which requires disconnecting all hosts managed my vCenter, then reconnecting.

Will this cause all hosts/VM's on the vDS to lose network connectivity while disconnected from vCenter?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Matt Baldwin wrote:

Even if I manually disconnect the host?

Yes, even if you disconnect the host. It will show up in vCenter as "disconnected" but still keep all of its cached configuration information on the host. You can connect directly to the host to verify.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

No. The VDS configuration is cached locally on each host for just this situation. No service disruption will be caused on the VDS by a lack of vCenter availability.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
vPatrickS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Never mind, brain fart :smileycry:

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Matt Baldwin wrote:

Yes, even if you disconnect the host. It will show up in vCenter as "disconnected" but still keep all of its cached configuration information on the host. You can connect directly to the host to verify.

0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hmmm, you say I should be ok, but Metzzo says I might not be... I guess I need to isolate a host and put a test VM on it and just try it out..

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I guess I need to isolate a host and put a test VM on it and just try it out..

This is always a good idea. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
vPatrickS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hrm just thinking about it .. it just came into my mind, there is also a remove button, which I forgott about.

So I would say Chris is right :smileyblush:

esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

LOL!  Thanks all.  I will be testing either way since these are production, but I always like to ask my fellow VMware admins for their experiences.

0 Kudos