VMware Cloud Community
sadom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

standby adapter

esxi 6.5 u2 vSwitch configured as 1 active uplink and 1 standby uplink. I didnt understand why the standby adapter in which scenarios. I wonder why and in what scenarios it is used

thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I answered that above:

Rather than having both adapters as active, you have a hot standby - meaning that performance in the event of a failover will be predictable (assuming vmnic0 and vmnic1 can offer the same throughput).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

All traffic is currently passing between your vSwitch and your physical network through vmnic0 (as it is active).

Should anything fail causing that NIC port in your server to lose link status, all traffic would pass through vmnic1 instead (as it is the standby).

Rather than having both adapters as active, you have a hot standby - meaning that performance in the event of a failover will be predictable (assuming vmnic0 and vmnic1 can offer the same throughput).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You have asked a related question before, I recommend taking a look back at the replies in that thread as well as the links in those replies.

ethernet card config

0 Kudos
sadom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am looking for the answer to the question of why our customer is not actively using two adapters. what do you think I should answer this question

thanks

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I answered that above: