VMware Cloud Community
panamconsult
Contributor
Contributor

"vSphere Distributed Switch teaming matched status" red alert flag help needed

Since migrating from standard switching to distributed switching, I've seen these alerts appear sporadically. They appear, and then they clear seconds later. They only mention the affected host, not the affected distributed switch. All hosts seem to get this alert.

We have three separate distributed switches; the hosts run on two different physical switching networks and the first of the physical networks has our critical VM, management, vmotion and fault tolerance networks. The first network has two separate distributed switches so I can separate management and critical VM traffic from vmotion and fault tolerance traffic.

Is there a way I can enable alerts for a specific distributed switch so I can tell which one is causing the alerts? Right now it's enabled globally and it seems to be a host alarm as opposed to a distributed switch alarm.

I already have health monitoring enabled on all distributed switches, and I have beacon probing turned on to monitor the connections on the first two distributed switches. The third one connects to a single switch so beacon probing doesn't seem to make sense there.

I'll post drawings and other details if needed for troubleshooting, but I first want to know if there's a way I can enable alerts for each distributed switch so I can narrow it down to one.

--

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Note: Discussion successfully moved from VMware ESXi 5 to VMware vSphere™ vNetwork

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
rhaaaven
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Are there any responses to this issue ? I'm having the similiar matter to resolve and I dont want to duplicate threads - but I can't find any replies to panamconsult's post ?

Many thanks for info ...

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello rhaaaven,

Sorry we missed your question (apologies to the OP as well... this is a cool topic and should have gotten some traction).  Anyway, I see you opened your own thread here which is actually a good thing in this case (allows you to award points for helpful and correct answers, and overall own the topic).  You did the right thing by trying to piggy back first.  Anyway, I notice you provided detailed information there so hopefully we can get you some good help on this!

0 Kudos