VMware Cloud Community
mwheeler1982
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"Service Console" Virtual Adapter Type Option Missing

I'm trying to bring up a new ESX host into a cluster of 3 already exists hosts. I am trying to get the service console set up the way my other hosts are.

When I go into the vNetwork Distributed Switch tab, click Manage Virtual Adapters, Add, New Virtual Adapter, Service Console is not an option. On my other 3 hosts it is. I do not have any vSwitches in the "Virtual Switch" tab.

The only way the service console is working right now is because I added a VMKernel Virtual Adapter and checked the "Use this virtual adapter for management traffic" option.

Why is Service Console not presenting itself as an option on the new host, but is on the older ones? They are all running the same version of ESX (348481).

0 Kudos
3 Replies
briwag
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

May be a stupid question, but did you add the new host to the vDS?

Networking, right-click on the vDS, the click "Add Hosts..."

0 Kudos
mwheeler1982
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wow.. Both me and my other VMware guy feel so dumb. It's because the new host is ESXi .. That's the only option we got when downloading the hypervisor.

Now we're getting an issue saying that HA cannot be enabled because there is a misconfiguration in the host network setup. All IPs for the service console and VKernel traffic for all hosts are on the same subnet.

I'll have to do some more googling to figure out the root cause.

0 Kudos
mwheeler1982
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oops.. figured that one out too.. Had a virtual adapter set up for management traffic and its IP address did not resolve to the DNS hostname of the host. Unchecking that box fixed it.

0 Kudos