VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert

port mirroring with different vms on different hosts

As I know we have 4 type of port mirroring and I was read many documents about them.

Distributed port mirroring

Remote mirroring sources

Remote mirroring Destination

Encapsulation Remote Mirroring

for example we have vmA and vmB and want mirrot vmA to vmB . As I know both vms had to reside on one esxi host is that correct ?

1- If vmA reside on hostA and vmB reside on hostB  port mirroring will not work is that correct ?

2 - According to all types of port mirroring which type of port mirroring work on two vms with different esxi hosts?

I am using vSphere 6.7

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@baber 

Moderator: Moved to vSphere vNetwork Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

Today I met new problem due create Encapsulated Remote Mirroring (L3) Source showed such as attach pic whether I had to select session type such as ERSPAN1 or ERSPAN2 but don't show anything what is the problem ?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@baber 

Perhaps search in this area for related threads.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
lux209
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to do pretty much the same but I need to forward the traffic from all VM on all ESXi host to a IDS VM.

I'm not 100% sure about the right config to do and just open an other post with some question, but I think the right way to go is to configure a Remote mirroring sources then use it in Remote mirroring Destination as described here:

https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2013/02/vsphere-5-1-vds-feature-enhancements-port-mirroring-part-2....
https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2013/02/vsphere-5-1-vds-feature-enhancements-port-mirroring-part-3....

Lux

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

Thanks but my question is why it does not show any session types such as ERSPAN2 or ERSPAN3 also session ID . I am using LACP

0 Kudos
lux209
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure about that, I can see it on my side. I'm on VMware 6.7, please see the print screen

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

For example . this is one of the LACP limitation  :

The LACP control packets (LACPDU) do not get mirrored when port mirroring is enabled.

but I don't know what does that mean . I am not Encapsulation remote mirroring is relate to LACP or not

Tags (1)
0 Kudos