VMware Cloud Community
BOSS_Advisors
Contributor
Contributor

please help with setting up a virtual firewall on a ESXi 4 in a single-server colo hosting

Hello, networking experts.

I have an esxi 4 server with VM instances (a virtual firewall (pfsense or vyatta etc.. being of one the instances) running at a remote colo.

I'd like to know how to configure the esxi server to run the virtual firewall instance to filter traffic of the other instances as if they are in the physical environment with a physical firewal, physical switch and the servers are in a private network.

I will have only 1 internet connection in/out for all traffic (vms, vm service console traffic). I can guess I order another dedicated connection for the service console.

This physical box has 4 NICs. My physical box will not have physical private network. So the internet connection will be plugged into one the physical NICs.

How can I do this?

Thank you in advance.

P.S: A single-server colo is where I have only 1 server hosted in a DC by a hosting provider. I don't want to use their managed FW.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BOSS_Advisors
Contributor
Contributor

I think I found my answer here.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/206382

0 Kudos
vSerge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try out our vShield Zones - we can work with you to get it going in your environment.

0 Kudos