Akopylov
Commander
Commander

notify switches?

Hello there.

I`ve faced unfamiliar situation.

I got scheme like on the screenshot

.noname.png

Actually each host has 6 nics, not 2, but I think this scheme is ok for example.

These switches are embedded HPc7000 enclosure switches. Afaik they are unstackable, even if they are, I doubt that I have enough skills to stack them correctly. So I got 2 questions:

1. Lets imagine I make port group (in dvswitch) and use it for vms communication only, so the traffic wouldn`t go further than procurves. I set uplink1 and uplink2 both as active in Nic Teaming options (based on nic load). I got some dilemma here: h2.nic2 can communicate only with h1.nic2 (across procurve2) and respectively h2.nic1 can communicate only with h1.nic1 (across procurve1). Lets imagine that h2.nic2 is down, but host1 continues to send traffic via h1.nic2 and miscommunication happens. If I set option "notify switches", host1 will "aknowledge" that h2.nic2 is down and will not send traffic via h1.nic2 anymore, am I right?

2. Wanna use 2 vmnics on each host for vmotion. Will make 2 port groups: 1st group - uplink1 active, uplink2 standby; 2nd group - uplink2 active, uplink1 standby. I guess there is a point to use different network addressing for each port group (I think its not necessary to use different vlan for each group), because of

h2.nic2 can communicate only with h1.nic2 (across procurve2) and respectively h2.nic1 can communicate only with h1.nic1 (across procurve1)

So I will get different routes for each pair (h1.nic1-h2.nic1 and h1.nic2-h2.nic2).

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

Hi!

'Notify switches' is used for updating MAC address information on physical switches.

If your nic goes down ESXi host won't use . Doesn't matter 'notify switches' option is set to yes or no. But you can get some network connectivity issues for VMs if it's set to No.

Not sure what is the question in point 2?

Step-by-step guide how to setup multi-nic vmotion is here VMware KB: Multiple-NIC vMotion in vSphere

0 Kudos