tdubb123
Expert
Expert

no traffic going through vmk1 (vmnic4)

I have a dvswitch set with 2 nics

vmnic0

vmnic4

vmk0 and vmk1 are the management and vmotion interfaces on these 2 nics

teaming and failover on both dvuplinks are set as active. So vmotion should use both nics. route is bases on originating virtual port.

when I put a server in maintenance mode, I see that vmnic4 or vmk1 shows no traffic

is that because the Load balancing is set to Route based on originating virtual port? but I have seecifically set my vmotion interfasce to vmk1.

why is there no traffic going through that?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Note: This discussion was moved from the VMware ESXi™ 4 community to the VMware vSphere™ vNetwork community.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

This looks like you setup the Management Network and vMotion in the same IP subnet!?

If this is not the case, please provide some more details about the network configuration.

André

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

yes they are on the same subnet. If they are on the same subnet, will vmotion only go through the management nic?

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

ok after messing with this for a while, I noticed that

I can use any vlan other than the mgmt vlan on the vmotion interface.

Also I noticed that I cannot have more than one default gateway ie, mgmt gateway is the only one that should be set. vmotion interface looks like will inherit the same gateway interface as that of the mgmt interface. If vmotion interface is set using a different gateway, then connectivity to the host is lost.

then I did a vmotion migration and saw vmotion traffic using vmk1. but thetre was alos a lot of packets going throught vmk0. maybe syn packets? why is vmk0 so busy during a vmotion migration?

so on my host, I have 8 nics but I do not want to dedicate 2 full gig nics just for mgmt. That will be a waste.

I want to do

2 for vmotion

2 for vms (trunk links)

what else can I use the other 4 for?

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

tdubb123 wrote:

then I did a vmotion migration and saw vmotion traffic using vmk1. but thetre was alos a lot of packets going throught vmk0. maybe syn packets? why is vmk0 so busy during a vmotion migration?

How much traffic was on the vmk0 during the vMotion? Could you post another esxtop screen while moving a VM?

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos