VMware Cloud Community
alexheng81
Contributor
Contributor

newbie to vsphere networking

Hi,

I have this current scenario. My Internal LAN is on 192.168.12.x while my storage network is on 192.168.100.x.
I am currently using openfiler as my NFS. Openfiler network configuration are as follows,

NFS.JPG

I have 4 network cards on the server. How should i go about configuring it? Could someone please enlighten me?

Thank You

0 Kudos
7 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Alex,

There are several documents on the Net about how to set up such a configuration. You can for example have a look at this one.

Good luck.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
alexheng81
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Franck,

Thanks for the reply.

But what i would really like to know is how do i do the configuration on the ESXi host?
I just cant get my head around it for this.

Thank You

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

You need to attach one of your physical cards to your storage network. Then create a vSwitch attached to this card, add a VMkernel port with an IP address in the 192.168.100.x subnet. Once done, you should be able to reach your Openfiler from the host. (Useful Best practices here).

0 Kudos
alexheng81
Contributor
Contributor

Thank You very much.

I will try it out tonight and revert with status ... Once again, thank you very much ...

Regards,

Alex

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

also once you get the networking sorted out, below is an tutorial that guide you how to mount the datastore.

good luck! http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/08/vmware-add-datastore/

0 Kudos
alexheng81
Contributor
Contributor

But the so called storage network is just a logical segmentation.
So with that in mind, how do i go about configuring the network aspect on the vsphere?
This is the part that i cant get my head around it.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Just add a VMkernel on the same subnet / ip-range as your storage!

\

Duncan (VCDX)

Available now on Amazon: vSphere 4.1 HA and DRS technical deepdive

0 Kudos