VMware Cloud Community
BALRAJS
Contributor
Contributor

new VLAN Issue

Hi,

We have added a new VLAN (the same way we used to add it in the past). However, VMs on this VLAN are not getting online even after configuring static IP... ping to the gateway from those machines is not also working. Also, tried after vmotion to other hosts to figureout if its host specific issue, no luck again.

VLAN gateway is pingable from other VMs. Physical switch is also confirmed having same settings as the other working VLANs.

vSphere version 6.7 and Distributed Switch version is 5.5.

Please share your valubale inputs to troubleshoot the issue from vmware perspective.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> the same way we used to add it in the past
Please provide details.

Things that you may want to verify:
- physical switch ports have that VLAN allowed
- in case that the new VLAN is the native/default VLAN, do not assign a VLAN-ID on the port group

André

0 Kudos
pdirmann01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I assume we're not tagging the interface from within the guest OS as well, correct? To Andre's point, if the VLAN is already set as native/default, and you are tagging it again at the port group, or within the OS you will not achieve network connectivity. 

0 Kudos
BALRAJS
Contributor
Contributor

steps and details while new VLAN created: Right click Dswitch>new port group> entered details (name, port binding:static, port allocation:Elastic, number of ports: 256, network resource pool:default, VLAN type: VLAN)

in case that the new VLAN is the native/default VLAN, do not assign a VLAN-ID on the port group -- Tried, however, no luck

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you also check the VLAN configuration on the physical switch, i.e. whether the VLAN exists, and is allowed on the ESXi hosts' ports?

André

0 Kudos
BALRAJS
Contributor
Contributor

on blade switch: yes

on core switch: i have asked concerned team to check.

0 Kudos