VMware Cloud Community
ktonk
Contributor
Contributor

network seperation in a 2 pnic environment

I've been searching through the forums to try and get a grasp on the networking for ESX. I'm aware you want to seperate the management, vm, vmotion, and service console traffic. I only have 2 physical nics on my host. This will be the first host in my environment, with a second one added later. At a minimum I'd like to seperate the SC and Storage traffic from my VMs which will be on my production network (192.168.1.0). This is a very small environment with 2 physical switches and 1 firewall. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jbogardus
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Reference a 2 pNic configuration info here:

And this page has info about impact of mixing various functions on a physical NIC in tables three quarters of the way down the page:

Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

One thing we ran into in a larger environment was having the Sc and storage on the same nic...when the service console got busy..the storage dropped.

Overall in this config with 2 pnics I would almost put SC and vmotion and LAN together and seperate out storage.

But, I would probably just recommend you throw in a dual or quad port card instead.

ktonk
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks

0 Kudos