VMware Cloud Community
thebart
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

negative impact when adding vDS

Hi - i'm looking to see if anyone out there has run into any negative impact or outage causing event after creating a new virtual distributed switch in their environment? 

I'm not looking to migrate anything over to it just yet, I just want to add it to our environment and wasn't sure if there would be any side effects by doing so.

I've looked through links here for a clear understanding.

Setting Up Networking with vSphere Distributed Switches (vmware.com)

thank you,

bart 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pdirmann01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you are simply creating a new VDS and not adding any uplinks or migrating vmk's or VMs to it, then no, there wouldn't and shouldn't be any negative impact as its just creating an object in vCenter.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
szafa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

check it => https://blogs.vmware.com/vov/2018/10/18/how-to-do-the-old-switcheroo-migrating-vss-to-vds-with-zero-...

You can see what challenges you can encountered, I'd recommend to test all in lab before moving to production 🙂

0 Kudos
thebart
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks and i've reviewed this document and also ran mock deployments in a similar environment but unfortunately i cannot replicate the exact production state. 

When i deploy vDS to the lab i'm not met with any negative impact but i'm only running a fraction of the resources and reaching out to the community to see if anyone has come across any gotcha's.

Again i'm only trying to better understand any implications of adding a distributed switch into an existing 6.7 u3 environment. Does the addition of vDS trigger any plugin patches or upgrades? or anything similar?

Thank you in advance for any insight

0 Kudos
pdirmann01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you are simply creating a new VDS and not adding any uplinks or migrating vmk's or VMs to it, then no, there wouldn't and shouldn't be any negative impact as its just creating an object in vCenter.

thebart
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thank you pdrirmann01 - this is what i was hoping to see/hear...i've searched for issues/negative impacts around creating objects specifically around a new vDS but my search algorithm was failing to give me a direct answer.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos