VMware Cloud Community
jcw248
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

n1kv with static dvports and autodeploy

Does anyone know a way that I can either capture into a host profile or have the values read into the auto deploy process for the specific dvports that are assigned to the vmk ports on my esxi servers.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
lwatta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you are doing auto-deploy n1kv does work with host profiles. In fact it's required.

Now if you are trying to specify the actual dvports in the host-profile I'm not sure thats possible.

Can you explain a little more what you are trying to do?

louis

0 Kudos
jcw248
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Right, you basically capture the image and on that image make sure you have the VEM injected in it I believe. My sticking point is that when I need to add a node to a cluster I have to request both physical and virtual ports for my node. So the physical ports are configured and hooked into the physical server, trunks applied to the physical ports. However on my vmk ports for the ESXi Node I would have dvport 18 for service console, 118 for vmotion, 225 for iscsi1 and 226 for iscsi2. The rest of the ports on the virtual switch are in a shut state. So you could automatically grab one but it will be in a blocked state or even worse you could grab one that has been pre allocated to a virtual machine.

So now that we have that out of the way, what I am wondering is since Host Profiles mentions nothing about "ports" and only references the "port-profile" is there a way that I can inject this field or have it pull this data from somewhere else IE file share, something....

I know I can do stateful with the method we have now, but to me that doesnt buy you a whole lot. We would really like to get to stateless with caching.

0 Kudos
lwatta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm not understanding the part about the ports. Why does it matter which port they get?

From the host profile they will get assigned to a port-profie where they will get a port auto-assigned to them.

0 Kudos
jcw248
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Exactly my thought process also, but others dont see it that way for some reason. I have brought up the same logic. So since I cant do it the way I would I am having to make work arounds.

0 Kudos
lwatta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'll have to research that. I'm sure someone has asked before but I don't know the answer.

0 Kudos