VMware Cloud Community
Abhare
Contributor
Contributor

monitoring the ESX using SNMP traps

Hi All,

I want to configure ESX Server monitoring in a monitoring system called as HP Operation manager.

Monitoring tool is capable of handling the SNMP Traps.

I am not sure how should i start.

Please tell me what should I do both at ESX End(to send the snmp traps to monitoring system ) also at monitoring system (to receive the alerts).

As per my understanding we need to install MIBS on monitoring system which will convert the traps into understandable alerts, again where do i get MIBS for vmware vsphere4.1, ?

Any procedure to install the MIBS?

Also where is the option in ESX to send the traps  to a monitoring system, if want to send test traps?

Please if someone has configured the monitoring of virtual infrastructure, help me out.

Thanks in Advance!!!

Regards,

Abhishek

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

On the ESX host:

1. Login as root
2. Edit the snmpd.conf file and add "rocommunity  xxxx" where xxxx is your read-only community string). The file is  usually located in /etc/snmpd.
3. While you're editing the snmpd.conf file, also add "dlmod SNMPESX /usr/lib/vmware/snmp/libSNMPESX.so"
4. Restart the SNMP daemon - /etc/init.d/snmpd restart

In some cases, you may also need to edit the firewall settings on the ESX server to allow the SNMP traffic through. To do this:

Login as root and issue the following commands:
2. esxcfg-firewall -e snmpd
3. chkconfig snmpd on
4. service snmpd start

also, have a look at :

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100806...

One day I will virtualise myself . . .