VMware Cloud Community
Bluemoon404
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

migrating distribution switch conf to new VC

Hi,

I am currently running VC 5.1 in a Windows box and would like to migrate to VCSA running version 6.0. From what I've read it should be straight forward. Disconnecting the hosts from the old VC and add them into the new VC. All VM's need to be left running. Once the hosts are in the new VC simply restore the Dswitch config from the old VC to the new VC.

When I attempted to do this the host along with its physical uplinks correctly added itself to the Dswitch config and all VM's continued to run. The problem I've encountered is with the VM's, they are not showing up in the port groups on the Dswitch. If I look at the VM from edit settings it shows it's connected to the correct Dswitch. When I look at the VM's related objects the networks is blank.

Any ideas.

Paul

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bluemoon404
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, I spoke to VMware support who have confirmed when moving to the VCSA from a Windows installed VC my process is supported. They have informed me this is a known bug and can be resolved by simply creating a new port group with all the same settings vlan's teaming etc give it a new name, then move the VM to the new port group.

I've stumbled on a better solution. When you go to the network adapter on the VM which is not showing up on the old port group, simply click on the drop down link as if you are going to change the network but instead of changing it leave it on the original port group. This seems to refresh VM and it then shows up correctly on the original port group, no pings are dropped in this process.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Bluemoon404
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, I spoke to VMware support who have confirmed when moving to the VCSA from a Windows installed VC my process is supported. They have informed me this is a known bug and can be resolved by simply creating a new port group with all the same settings vlan's teaming etc give it a new name, then move the VM to the new port group.

I've stumbled on a better solution. When you go to the network adapter on the VM which is not showing up on the old port group, simply click on the drop down link as if you are going to change the network but instead of changing it leave it on the original port group. This seems to refresh VM and it then shows up correctly on the original port group, no pings are dropped in this process.

0 Kudos