VMware Cloud Community
sodasin
Contributor
Contributor

migrate VDS between vcenter servers

I have a multipart question.  I have 2 vcenter servers (one in link mode).  I'm trying to basically migrate a vds switch setup on 3 hosts from one vcenter server to another while the virtual machines are on and active.  Is this doable?  Would it just involve joining it to the other vcenter server or would that convert the host back to a standard switch since the configuration lies on the first vcenter server?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
HeathReynolds
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have been doing this with a standard switch. Create standard switch and port groups on one host, propogate to the other hosts with host profiles. Move VMs from VDS to standard switch.

Then move the hosts to the new vCenter, create a new VDS, and migrate from the standard switch to the new VDS. If you had hundreds of VMs you could do a lot of this with powercli and csv files, but with three hosts you could probably just use the GUI.

My sometimes relevant blog on data center networking and virtualization : http://www.heathreynolds.com
0 Kudos
sodasin
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  That's what I figured it would entail.  I've never done host profiles before just done stuff manually.  It doesn't sound that hard though.  Thanks.

0 Kudos