VMware Cloud Community
indianmale
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

is there any way to access the virtual machine when network is outage........

Hi. there........ Iam just wondering is there any way that we can access the Virtual Machine when the network is outage.......(Due to power failures or fluctuations.... )................?

Is there any way that I can setup my Virtual Machine...........?

Thanks and Regards..........

Indianmale..

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

Not really....

FOr a Hosted Environment.... If you can access the console of the Host, you can still access the console of the VM regardless of the network status outside the console. VMware Workstation, Fusion, and Server all fit into this category.

For ESXi/ESX... you need an outside host to access the console of the VM. ESX and ESXi do not display graphics or VMs from their consoles/management appliances. So you need an external machine that can either run the vSphere Client or access the VM via RDP, SSH, or VNC depending on Guest OS involved.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, DABCC Analyst
====
Author of the books 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment' available for pre-order now
'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
SearchVMware Pro|Blue Gears|Top Virtualization Security Links|Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

depends on which network you are referring to - assuming that you have seperate management network and vm network - if it is only the VM net work then yes you should be able to use the VI client to access the VM if it is both than there really not much benefit since the end user would not be able to access the application on that VM

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
indianmale
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks weinstein5......But Iam a newbie here........I dont know much about networking...... Could you please explain a bit more about that........

Well I installed VMware Server 2.0.1 on my laptop........ which containing os is Win XP Pro............ and I created a virtual machine which contains os Win Server 2003(Guest OS)....and Iam having the Internet connection at home........ When the power failures it is showing the error.

"The connection to the server has been lost. Restart VMware Remote console to attempt to reconncet the server." Thus I cant access my virtual Machine..And also I carry my laptop to some places where the network is unavailable.... Then iam trying to use my Virtual Machine but I cant..Only thing I can access is VMware Infrastructure Web Access.......But from there I cant open my console..........due to network outage.........

So Hope you understand my problem clearly........ and looking forward for your precious reply..........with a bit clear explanation to how to setup............

Thanking you...........

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ok I assumed you were using ESXi but it looks like you are using VMware Server - since VMware Server is a hosted virtualization platform and it relies on the host operating system so if the host operating system has lost it network connection there will be no way to remotely connect to your VMware Server and whatever VMs that are running on it - with ESX and ESXi you actually have the ability to segment the management traffic and VM traffic -

indianmale
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So you mean to say that I can download and install ESXi.....? with that it can be possible to access VM without internet connection

?

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

Not really....

FOr a Hosted Environment.... If you can access the console of the Host, you can still access the console of the VM regardless of the network status outside the console. VMware Workstation, Fusion, and Server all fit into this category.

For ESXi/ESX... you need an outside host to access the console of the VM. ESX and ESXi do not display graphics or VMs from their consoles/management appliances. So you need an external machine that can either run the vSphere Client or access the VM via RDP, SSH, or VNC depending on Guest OS involved.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, DABCC Analyst
====
Author of the books 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment' available for pre-order now
'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
SearchVMware Pro|Blue Gears|Top Virtualization Security Links|Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos