VMware Cloud Community
Wikkie
Contributor
Contributor

iSCSI MPIO with IBM DS3300 or DELL MD3000i

Hi all,

Currently our system runs with 6 esx hosts and 2 DS3300 Datastores. Basicly things are running fine but performance wise things can be beter.

A core "issue" is that LUN's from where the prefered path is set to controller B always falls back to controller A.

And maybe this has to do with an other problem that Vmware (Vsphere 4) thinks it is a singel path construction which is in real world a full redudant setup.

So double Nics at ESX hosts, Double iscsi switches (dedicated for it) and the Datastores are both with dual controllers.

Now I have found following document on the web : http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/VMwareESX4.0andPowerVault+MD3000i

Seems good by me. But brings me also to the following questions:

1. they created to vswitches. each to a nic and one vmkernel.

I currently have per ESX host 1 vswitch with multiple nics and 2 vmkernels.

At my config at the vmkernel i configure 1 nic as active the other as passive and visa verrsa

Question will be one vswitch or two like Dell stated in their example ?

What do I win lose ?

2. The configure the Datastore with two subnets. Fine but why not configure one subnet to controller A and the other subnet to controller B ?

In the example the assign subnet 1 to port 1 of each controller and assign subnet 2 to port 2 of each controller.

If I assign a subnet to a controller thus subnet one to port 1 and 2 of controller A and for subnet two the same on controller B Do I then force maybe

the prefered path, or do i completly mis something here ?

Further at ESX level i can not find problems back like network errors or such the clarify it was kikked over.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
0 Replies