VMware Cloud Community
Kimbie
Contributor
Contributor

iSCSI HBA vMotion setup problems

Overview of current setup

1 x HP BLC7000 with 4 Cisco 3020 switches, the switches are in Slots 1, 2, 3, 4 on the rear of the chassis

2 x HP BL460c G6 blades with qLogic iSCSI HBA cards

Currently the cisco in slot 1 is configured on our 10.99.61.x range which is our standard server/switch network

The iSCSI HBA is connected to the cisco in slot 3 on our 10.99.67.x range which is our SAN network.

Questions / Issues

We have connected the iSCSI HBA to our N3700 for testing while we wait for our Lefthand to turn up. We are able to connect to the LUN and that is fine, we are also able to connect to our data network via NIC1 on the blade.

The problem we have is we can not seem to create a vKernel port on the distributed switch to enable vmotion, it will only let us create it on a standard switch, though NIC1

Is this correct or are we doing something wrong in terms of the config of the switches.

I have looked at the iSCSI config guide, however that only shows how to activate and connect which we have done so that was not much help.

I would be greateful if anyone could help me out here, or point me in the right direction

Thanks

Kimbie

0 Kudos
1 Reply
byoung111
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I ran into the same problem after switching from SW ISCSI to HW ISCSI. You cant vmotion over your HBA. You still need one standard NIC on your ISCSI network that has a VMkernel port enabled for vmotion.

0 Kudos