VMware Cloud Community
lie07
Contributor
Contributor

host lost virtual switches/kernal/physical adapter

Randomly 4 of 8 esxi hosts lost all of those. i am able to remote to vm that are running on those hosts but i am unable to do anything.

I have tried disconnect/connecting back the hosts but no luck. I have tried re-configuring HA but no luck since vcenter not showing any adapters. Also when i try to ssh or login directly into host it wont let me.

Any idea what is going on?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
T180985
Expert
Expert

I assume youre unable to ping the hosts? Are you able to access the DCUI and check the management network from there

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. How to post effectively on VMTN https://communities.vmware.com/people/daphnissov/blog/2018/12/05/how-to-ask-for-help-on-tech-forums
0 Kudos
lie07
Contributor
Contributor

I am able to ping them for some odd reason. management network got all the correct settings too. I have this error on those hosts.

0 Kudos
T180985
Expert
Expert

If the management network looks correctly configured & youre able to ping the host then I would probably try restarting the management services, see VMware Knowledge Base

If you run into issues, check the hostd & vmkernel logs

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. How to post effectively on VMTN https://communities.vmware.com/people/daphnissov/blog/2018/12/05/how-to-ask-for-help-on-tech-forums
0 Kudos
lie07
Contributor
Contributor

When i try to add the adapters manually, i get following errors this (stack)

I have tried restarting mgmt agents but no luck.

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

If you have access to the DCUI, login with shell and check the following log files:

/var/log/syslog.log

/var/log/fdm.log

/var/log/vmkwarning.log

You can investigate last lines of each log file, for example with tail and then search for any possible keywords with grep , like error, failed and etc ...

tail -100 /var/log/syslog.log | grep -i failed

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos