VMware Cloud Community
jpd4save9
Contributor
Contributor

help with a dvSwitch setup

I have created a dvSwitch with one uplink port, and have one nic from each node of a two node cluster attached to it.

Problem I have got is that it will not ping across the dvSwitch - so some thing is up with the uplink ports.

The uplink ports are connected to a switch, the ports are set to tagged to vlan 4.

PortGroup is set to the vlan of 4.

So i am not sure on what to do next, as most the docs suggest this should work.

Any help would be great.

esx 4 + vCenter 4.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
lwatta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

When you say the uplink ports ae connected to a switch and tagged to vlan 4, do you mean you have configured the uplink ports on the dvswitch or the physical ports of the switch? By default I beleive the uplink ports of a vDS default to trunking all. So if you modified the physical switch port to be an access port and did not modify the uplink port of the vDS there will be a mismatch.

Try and make sure the uplink ports match the config of the physical switch ports for the NIC that is attached to the uplink. So if physical switch port is a trunk make sure the VDS uplink port is a trunk and vice versa.

If both the uplink and the phys switch are access ports then don't tag on the port-group.

See if that helps.

0 Kudos
jpd4save9
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

Physical ports on the switch are set to tagged for vlan 4.

The uplink is set to vlan trunk 4-4096

the Portgroup is set to vlan 4

0 Kudos
lwatta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Since the uplink is a trunk, then the physical port needs to be a trunk as well or you will have a mismatch. Can you set the physical port to be a trunk and to carry vlans 4-4096?

0 Kudos
jpd4save9
Contributor
Contributor

Can't find an option for trunk for vlan on the 3com switch.

its a 3Com 4300

0 Kudos
lwatta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've never worked on a 3Com switch. It might be something like 802.1Q trunk or 802.1Q link.

If you can't figure out the trunk and you are ok with everything being on vlan4 you can set the uplink port-group to be an access port with only vlan 4 and that should allow traffic to start flowing.

0 Kudos
jpd4save9
Contributor
Contributor

Will have a dig on the 3com on monday.

How do you set the uplink to be only vlan 4 - in vCenter i have no options to touch the uplink, it can only be in trunk mode.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Try removing the vlan ID from the portgroup.

0 Kudos
jpd4save9
Contributor
Contributor

Really should have posted eariler but have been distracted by hostd being broke.

Well I can back monday and it just started working.

The 3Com must have just taken forever to get itself setup right.

Not much else to say.

0 Kudos