VMware Cloud Community
mohsinkhan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

help required regarding cisco nexus 1000v

hi ,

i have three esxi host in my environment and i want to integrate these host with cisco nexus 1000v switch.

i installed vsm on host1 and adding the remaining host via update manager in vsm. the portgroups i already create in vms shown in the host which i was added to the vsm, but the port group does not shown on the esx host1 on which i installed vsm, should i also add the host that contains vsm in the cisco nexus switch?

i mean that i installed the vem on all the three esxi host. is it right?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bilalhashmi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Mohsin,

Where did you read that? In the past we have added all hosts including the one running the VSM. We would usually run two VSMs (primamry and secondary) and add anti affinity rules so that both VSMs are on different hosts. I am not a CISCO person, but having worked with the CISCO engineers, we didn't have any issues with what you just mentioned. It would really be a waste of host in my opinion. I don't see why that would be an issue.. As long as you have all your portgroups (PGs for your VSM packets etc etc) in place you should be able to add all the hosts from my experience.

Follow me @ Cloud-Buddy.com

Blog: www.Cloud-Buddy.com | Follow me @hashmibilal

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
bilalhashmi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did you already add the host and mapped the nic cards to appropriate PGs? Also, keep in mind when you add the host to the 1000v, your switch will not show under standard switches anymore. Be sure to click on the distributed switches and you should be able to see what you created on the 1000v side..

0 Kudos
mohsinkhan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi hashmi,

i already add the two esxi host in the nexus switch add migrate all it ports to the specific nexus PGs. now the third esxi host on which i installed vsm, i donot add it into the nexus switch till now because in most of the article i read that on which the vsm is install you donot add this host into the nexus switch so i am little bit confused about that should i also add this host into the nexus switch or not. the vm's on this host didnot see the port profile which i created in nexus untill i add this host into the cisco switch. i am very confused about that. i am thankful to you if you provide some hellp or article regarding this

0 Kudos
bilalhashmi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Mohsin,

Where did you read that? In the past we have added all hosts including the one running the VSM. We would usually run two VSMs (primamry and secondary) and add anti affinity rules so that both VSMs are on different hosts. I am not a CISCO person, but having worked with the CISCO engineers, we didn't have any issues with what you just mentioned. It would really be a waste of host in my opinion. I don't see why that would be an issue.. As long as you have all your portgroups (PGs for your VSM packets etc etc) in place you should be able to add all the hosts from my experience.

0 Kudos
mohsinkhan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thankyou i really appreciate your help i also see this in video training like trainsignal they also add the host in nexus switch on which vsm is install.

when i was create nexus switch i create three port profile in standard switch, like control, packet and management should i also create these port porifle in nexus also and migrate the vsm into this port profile group?

0 Kudos
bilalhashmi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, you will have to do that. Keep in mind, in order for VSM to work, you will need to make sure those PGs are available.. So once u add the last host to the nexus, you will have to make sure nexus conitnues to work and in order for it to work you will have to make sure these PGs are available. And the only way that will happen is if u add these to the nexus or spare a nic or two and create a std switch and make nexus go through here. But thats a waste of nics, so you might as well create that in the nexus.. Good luck!

0 Kudos
mohsinkhan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks buddy, if you don't mind send me your email id or skype id so that if i need help in future i directly email on that or contact with you in skype

0 Kudos
bilalhashmi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You can find my email in the link below and feel free to reach out if you have any questions.  I will be happy to assist if within my knowledge..

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cloud-Buddy-Virtualization-and-Cloud/205887476118613?sk=info

0 Kudos
mohsinkhan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

link didn't work Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mohsinkhan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i have one more question. in my envrionment update manager is installed that installed vem when i add the host in it so when i add the third host in which vsm is installed it automatically installed vem to the third host also. does vem and the vsm can run on the same host or not?

0 Kudos
RBurns-WIS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes.  The VSM's virtual interfaces can exist on the 1000v.  You'll need to ensure that you create vEth port profiles and set the Control, System and Management VLANs in each respectfully as "system vlans".  These same system vlans need to be included in your Eth uplink port profile also.

If you fail to set the VSM's port profiles as system VLANs you'll run into connectivity issues.

Ex. Your VSM's Port Profiles and Uplink Port profile should look something like this:

port-profile type vethernet dvs_Control
  vmware port-group
  switchport mode access
  system vlan 3001

no shut

state enabled

port-profile type vethernet dvs_Packet
  vmware port-group
  switchport mode access
  system vlan 3002

no shut
  state enabled

port-profile type vethernet dvs_Management
  vmware port-group
  switchport access vlan 19
  switchport mode access
  system vlan 19

no shut

state enabled

port-profile type ethernet system-uplink-rob
  vmware port-group
  switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-3967,4048-4093
  switchport mode trunk
  channel-group auto mode on mac-pinning
  no shutdown
  system vlan 19,25,200,3001-3002
  state enabled

Regards,

Robert

0 Kudos
bilalhashmi
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I have your email addr, I will send you an email in the next few mins. Jut keep in mind its always best to post questions here because a lot of eyes will have a look at it and you will increase your chances of getting your questions answered. Lastly by posting here you will also help out others who may have had the same question but never bothered to post. Smiley Happy

Also, the post above regarding port profiles is pretty straight forward, I think that should clear any doubts that you may have. The answer to your question is yes and the post above has already explained in detail.

0 Kudos
mohsinkhan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi ,

i have configure these profile

1- uplink-system

conf t
port-profile type ethernet uplink-system
vmware port-group
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan all
channel-group auto mode on mac-pinning
no shutdown
state enabled
end
copy run start

2- management

port-profile type vethernet management

vmware port-group

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 16

no shut

state enabled

the snapshot are given below

1.png

the first snapshot is standard

2.png

i migrate the host from standard to cisco

3.png

4.png

the host is not migrate sending the error the connection has been lost to the remote computer.

it will install the vem ,update and remediate the host but the port does not migrate

i am very frustrated. help me

0 Kudos
RBurns-WIS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you follow my comments above in Red?

You haven't defined your "system vlans".

Robert

0 Kudos
mohsinkhan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i already define the system vlan

for management port profile  the vlan is 16

and the uplink port profile accessing vlan all it will be the trunk profile

0 Kudos
mohsinkhan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

at that time im not migrating the host in which vsm installed  i just migrate the simple host that is vem

0 Kudos
RBurns-WIS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please paste your running config of your VSM.

Robert

0 Kudos
RBurns-WIS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please have a read through:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_2_1_s_v_1_4/getting_start...

Start with the section called "Configuring the System Port Profile for VSM-VEM Communication"

You'll see the system VLANs I'm referring to.

Regards,

Robert

0 Kudos
mohsinkhan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

port-profile type vethernet control

vmware port-group

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 10

no shut