VMware Cloud Community
sadom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ethernet card config

I have 4x10 GB ethernet cards and I want to use them as 40 GB. how should I configure ? vcenter 6.5

0 Kudos
7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You need to do some more reading to understand what you're asking before anyone can give you an answer.

0 Kudos
sadom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a 4 x 10 gigabit ethernet card. can I use them like 40 gb on a virtual switch.

0 Kudos
T180985
Expert
Expert

You can just team them in vCenter, it will give you a total bandwidth of 40Gbps on that vSwitch but each VM vNIC will have a maximum bandwidth of 10Gbps as theyre only able to use 1 physical lync at a time. Some reading i would recommend

VMware Teaming

Configure NIC Teaming, Failover, and Load Balancing on a vSphere Standard Switch or Standard Port Gr...

Cisco EtherChannel

Understanding EtherChannel Load Balancing and Redundancy on Catalyst Switches - Cisco

Youre unable to "Bond" the links into 1 logical link as far as i am aware

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. How to post effectively on VMTN https://communities.vmware.com/people/daphnissov/blog/2018/12/05/how-to-ask-for-help-on-tech-forums
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I have a 4 x 10 gigabit ethernet card. can I use them like 40 gb on a virtual switch.

As I said, you need to clarify what you're asking. You cannot just "glue" them all together and get a larger pipe. Please state your requirements.

0 Kudos
sadom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

if i use LACP configuration for it . Can I get 40 gbit

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

No, you probably won't, and it's more complicated than that based on how LACP works and what traffic occurs over it.

0 Kudos
T180985
Expert
Expert

No, LACP/Etherchannel basically just load balance across links. If you're downloading a single file from one server to another, you will only ever get 10Gbps. You could theoretically have a situation where you have one server simultaneously downloading a file from 4 different servers in which case the receiving server would appear to be getting 40Gbps when its really just 4x10Gbps. Depends on the load balancing algorithm you use though...

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. How to post effectively on VMTN https://communities.vmware.com/people/daphnissov/blog/2018/12/05/how-to-ask-for-help-on-tech-forums
0 Kudos