VMware Cloud Community
vraihack
Contributor
Contributor

enable dot1.x on linux VM (supplicant) implemented on VMware ESX Server

Hello, lastly i start working on implementing a dot1.x port based authentication in my network, where i have a kali VM as supplicant and Ubuntu as Radius server both exist on VMware ESX Server and finally a switch (authenticator) between them. (check image: dot1.x )

my problem is that my Kali VM (supplicant) unable to send EA-POL request, and am wondering  if they should be some special configuration between ESXI and the VM Kali (supplicant) to allow to send this kind of request or to not being blocked by Vmnic (virtual swtich) because us you know a direct connection should be between the supplicant and authenticator in 802.1x.

the way i used to trigger EAPOL request is by plug-out and plug-in the supplicant connection with the Switch

why am asking that question? because in a normal computer with a Linux guest as a supplicant i heard that we need to create first a bridge between the virtual interface on that guest VM and the Network Adapter of the host and then we need to enable 802.1x from network manger on the virtual interface of that guest.

does anyone done this kind of implementation before ?

I know my question sound like someone newbie but yeh and i need your help please

Thanks

ha

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Does this setup use NSX as well or only ESXi?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
vraihack
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @scott28tt no only Vmware ESXI

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Expect a moderator to move your thread, now that I've reported it, since you're not asking about NSX.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
vraihack
Contributor
Contributor

thanks @scott28tt i will be always waiting the ans

0 Kudos
vraihack
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again,

do we need to enable the passthrough on the NIC that connected to the VM guest ?

0 Kudos