VMware Cloud Community
alatariel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

configuring vmotion

hi, i have a big doubt.im testing the vmware vsphere, especifically, the distribute vswitch, and i don't know how to configure a separate vlan for vmotion.

in version 3.5, when i configure the virtual switch, i have an option that ask me what type of vlan would be.

now , i dont know if exists something like that.

i must configure a virtual switch, and then migrate to distributed virtual switch , to do what i want.

thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It is simple to move vmotion interface to whatever vlan you want. Click Manage virtual adapter in vNetwork distribute switch view and edit the vmk nic you want to config, and then select the Portgroup you want your vmk to connect. Such that the vmk will use the vlan id of this portgroup to tag. So what you need to do is create a seperate dvPortgroup with the vlan type/id you need and then connect the vmk to this dvportgroup.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You don't have to use distributed vSwitch, you can still use old 3.5 model with standard vSwitches.

---

MCSA, MCTS Hyper-V, VCP 3/4, VMware vExpert

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
alatariel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yeah, i know, but im still want to configure vmotion in a Distributed virtual switch

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Since a distributed switch still requires a standard virtual switch to be defined on the esx host you need to make sets of those enabled for vmotion and then make it part of the vDS and configure it approrately -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It is simple to move vmotion interface to whatever vlan you want. Click Manage virtual adapter in vNetwork distribute switch view and edit the vmk nic you want to config, and then select the Portgroup you want your vmk to connect. Such that the vmk will use the vlan id of this portgroup to tag. So what you need to do is create a seperate dvPortgroup with the vlan type/id you need and then connect the vmk to this dvportgroup.

0 Kudos