VMware Cloud Community
dagostinoAdmin
Contributor
Contributor

change ip ranges for vm network

Hello all,

I have a couple VM's on their own NIC in vsphere. The NIC indicates that it has a range of 10.0.3.x to 10.0.3.x. however i do not want these vm's to be restricted to these ip's. As i have a backup network residing on a ip range of 10.1.x.x, and these VM's are the backups for the physical servers they represent, our backup software needs to access these vm's on their corresponding IP ( ie: 10.1.0.101) How do I change the range of IP's OR how do i move the VM's to a different NIC where its range is 10.1.x.x?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

First you can assign any legitimate IP address to you VM - is does not have to come out of that range - that range is discovered range of IP addresses being offered on that segment usually by a DHCP server - and as long as that network 10.0.1.x is accessible from the physical switch the VMs will communicate to that network -

To change the VM to a different NIC - you simply change the Virtual Machine Port group the virtual NIC connects to -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful