VMware Cloud Community
joeflint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Xsigo Systems "I/O Virtualization" and infiniband cards

Hi All, we're looking into integrating Xsigo network cards with VMware - does anyone have an example configuration of a vnic/vswitch design that they have previously implemented with xsigo cards.

My previous deployments have included 2 pnics for each vswitch for failover. However, I'm puzzled whether one needs to deifne to pnics (or virtual pnics via xsigo) because all traffic is actually via the singfle xsigo nic....

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

That's correct, one additional thing you'll need to ensure is that the terminated IO card that these vNICs and vHBA's are being presented from can support your peaks. Other than that, your physical design would still apply in a Xsigo design and just make sure you follow the best practices for configuring your vSwitches per Xsigo.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

VMware VCP3,4

VMware VCAP4-DCA

VMware scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

Getting Started with the vMA (tips/tricks)

Getting Started with the vSphere SDK for Perl

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Community

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

It all depends on your requirements and you should talk to Xsigo around their recommended best practices/etc.

Anywho, you should probably use a minimum of 2 IB HCA (Host Channel Adapters), this is like FC HBA or FCoE CNA but it's talking IB instead of FC or Ethernet. This is what your physical host will use that connects back to your Xsigo I/O Directors and having two allows you to have 2 separate paths in case you lose an I/O Director and you can have this be setup as A/A or A/P.

From that, depending on your requirements/configurations you will then create vNIC or vHBA (virtual NICS and virtual HBAs) this will be for things like your Service Console/Management Network, vMotion, NFS, FT, Virtual Machine Network and for your Storage of course which maybe FC, iSCSI or NFS. From the actual vNIC/vHBA, you'll follow your normal best practices and probably want a minimal of two per vSwitch for redundancy purposes or more depending on the workload/etc. There is a best practice document on Xsigo's support site around vSphere configuration with Xsigo and would be worth a read.

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

VMware VCP3,4

VMware VCAP4-DCA

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

joeflint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

William, so basically to keep the vswitch config the same when using Xsigo technology instead of physical nics - do you have a link to the xsigo best practice document please?

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Not sure I understand your question ...

What do you mean by keeping the vSwitch config the same? You need to think about things a little different when using Xsigo ... since your I/O is actually being virtualized and you're not working with physical FC HBA or physical Ethernet cards, those concepts and connections still exists but are presented as vNICs and vHBAs. The physical transport is now IB but you still have your NICs and HBAs and you'll follow the same best practices like having redundant connections at your vSwitch and also separating out the traffic whether you do that via VLANs or physically separating that out using different set of vNICs that terminate at different I/O ports on the Xsigo I/O Director.

Their best practice document is under support, you need to have an account and under their documentation tab you'll find it. I would highly recommend you talk to your Xsigo SE if you have more questions.

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

VMware VCP3,4

VMware VCAP4-DCA

0 Kudos
joeflint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry if I wasn't clear. What I meant was, for example, from an Ethernet prespective in a phsyical nic config I normally have vswitch 0 connected to 2 x physical nics with perhaps running SC and VMotion traffic. Likewise, vswitch 1 may have 2 pnics for payload traffic.

With the Xsigo set-up, assuming 2 x IB cards installed as above, still present 4 virtual nics via xsigo config and use the same design as above. The same applies to any HBA config.

Thanks for the feedback.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

That's correct, one additional thing you'll need to ensure is that the terminated IO card that these vNICs and vHBA's are being presented from can support your peaks. Other than that, your physical design would still apply in a Xsigo design and just make sure you follow the best practices for configuring your vSwitches per Xsigo.

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

VMware VCP3,4

VMware VCAP4-DCA

0 Kudos