VMware Cloud Community
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Which physical network port is my virtual machine connected to?

Hi All,

We have several ESXs with either classical vSwitches or dVswitches. Each of them have several physical ports (classical NIC teaming configurations, all cards are active). Different VMs are connected to those switches (one vnic per VM).

Is there a way to identify which physical port every single VM is connected to? Of course, I have no access the physical switches...

Thanks for your advices.

Franck

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Harish_Chilikot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

you can this output in esxtop command (press 'n') in vSphere 4. thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mlubinski
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

as far as I know - NO, but If you would take a look on physical switch configuration (mac table) then you would see on which port which VM MAC is plugged.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos
amvmware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you are using dvwitches then i beleive you can click on the vm in the dvswitch configuration and it will highlight the physical nic it is using.

Don't forget to leave points for helpful/correct posts.

0 Kudos
Harish_Chilikot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

you can this output in esxtop command (press 'n') in vSphere 4. thanks

0 Kudos
Harish_Chilikot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

offcourse the esxtop output will tell you the physical name not the physical switch port(which you can anyway get from the CDP output). thanks

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Thank you Harish. Shame this information is not available in version 3.5 ...

Kind regards

Franck

0 Kudos