VMware Cloud Community
Flaviomcs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmotion configuration

What are the best practices in therms of vmotion.

Do i need a vswitch just for vmotion with dedicated NIC or can i just enable the vmotion on the management vswitch ?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can basically create a vMotion port group on any vSwitch if you want. However, keep in mind that vMotion can easily max out the physical NICs bandwith, which might cause issues with other objects using the same NIC. What I've done in the past is to create a vSwitch for Management and vMotion with two uplinks, where uplink 1 is active from the Management Network (uplink 2 as Standby), and uplink 2 is active for vMotion (uplink 1 as Standby). This way each port group has its dedicated uplink, but can failover to the other one in case of a failure.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can basically create a vMotion port group on any vSwitch if you want. However, keep in mind that vMotion can easily max out the physical NICs bandwith, which might cause issues with other objects using the same NIC. What I've done in the past is to create a vSwitch for Management and vMotion with two uplinks, where uplink 1 is active from the Management Network (uplink 2 as Standby), and uplink 2 is active for vMotion (uplink 1 as Standby). This way each port group has its dedicated uplink, but can failover to the other one in case of a failure.

André

0 Kudos
Flaviomcs
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK.. so having vmotion on a 10g shared with all the vms shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you.

0 Kudos