VMware Cloud Community
anandgopinath
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vmotion/Management traffic - Standard Switch or DvSwitch

Dear Community 

Is it still the best practise to use vmotion / management traffic ( vmkernal adapters  ) on standard vswitch with NIC teaming and standard LB policy  ?

We are using Vsphere 6.5 U3 . 

Our current setup is each host has 4 vnics  .

2 of them  connect to standard vswitch with nic teaming and standard LB policy for vmotion/management

2 of them connect to LAG on dvswitch  for vm traffic  ( lacp on physical network side   ) 

We now have some new servers to setup ( based on HPE synergy  ) and wanted to revisit this topic  .

Appreciate your quick response in this regard 

Any advantage of using  dvswitch 

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

No, most people these days will go all-in on the distributed switch. I would just make sure that the Management Portgroup is set to Ephemeral, as that allows it to work fine without vCenter Server.

anandgopinath
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dear Duncan 

Thanks alot for taking time to look at my query and for the quick help with an interesting document  🙂

I am blessed  🙂

Just a few follow up questions after going through the validated design  .  

Thank you in advance for some pointers  / guidance  .

1. Should we plan a different distributed switch for the Management /vmotion traffic or is it ok if  we use the same distributed switch with a different LAG for the Vmotion / Management vnics in LACP  ?  Which approach is good  ? 

2. Is it ok to have a single LACP  Uplink   ( lag  ) for both Management / vmotion traffic  with different port groups for each   ?   Should we expect issues while using  vmotion / management traffic with LACP  ? 

3. As we have a mix of old and new hardware in the same ESX cluster, is it ok for us to start with new hosts in the cluster having  management / vmotion in a distributed switch and the old hosts still using them via standard switch  ?   as like for vm traffic , can we migrate the old hosts to the distributed switch config for management / vmotion traffic in a non disruptive way  ? 

0 Kudos