VMware Cloud Community
Conocon
Contributor
Contributor

VSwitch issues - Single virtual server not able to ping gateway

Hi,

I have a strange issue on two seperate esxi 4.1.0 (build 502767) hosts , there are 4 hosts in total with the same configuration. I am running 3 virtual servers (ubuntu 10.04.03) on each host.The network configuration consists of 2 vSwitches , one for management traffic (2 physical server nics) and one for virtual server traffic (2 physical server nics).All virtual servers are on the same vlan with a single nic.There is only one vlan on the vSwitch1 (server traffic).

All servers have been operating without issue until the last few days.The symptoms are as follows ,server is operating as normal and then one out of the three servers cannot be contacted from the outside world , it cannot ping it's gateway or ping other servers that AREN'T connected to it's vSwitch.It can however ping the other 2 servers connected to the same vSwitch.

Powering down the problem server , removing the nic and readding the nic seems to resolve the issue.This has happened on two seperate virtual servers running on two seperate physical host servers.

There are no alerts that I can see on the vSphere client to help me troubleshoot this issue

0 Kudos
2 Replies
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

Conocon wrote:

All virtual servers are on the same vlan with a single nic.There is only one vlan on the vSwitch1 (server traffic).

You have a VLAN number defined on the Virtual Machine portgroup?

Which NIC teaming policy do you have? (Default Port ID or IP Hash)

Since you have a low number of VMs on the host, only three, it is possible that they when working is running over the same physical VMNIC. Do you know if any configuration changes has been done on the physical switches? Could you verify that the physical switch ports are correctly configured? A possible reason for your problem is that some of the ports have e.g. incorrect VLAN configuration.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
Conocon
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ,

The vlan is defined on the port group and the nic teaming policy is based on virtual port id.It turned out to be a configuration issue on physical switch the physical host is connected to.The port one of teamed nics is connected to had a configuration error.When the traffic was being load balanced by vmware over the misconfigured port it was returning  the symptons described before.Ports have been configured correctly now and everything is working correctly.

Thanks for your help.

Conocon

0 Kudos