VMware Cloud Community
parkarnoor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware HA network setup?

Hi,

This is about networking setup question in VMware cluster and have less VMware experience.

we are creating VMware HA cluster between two nodes.

each hosts has 4 NICs of 1 GB each. In future we will add more.

what is best configuration for these Nics.

Virtual machines will be in multiple VLANs.  some will be in DMZ also. how will I setup these 4 NICs?

thank you in advance.

noor parkar

UAE

Noor Parkar
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi parkarnoor,

See the attachment from the Network Example section of my post here.  That's an old copper design I did a while back, but is still relevant.  Personally, I would blend ports across NIC cards to create the bonds, and use multi-nic vMotion.  Since you don't use network storage, you can use more NICs for your guest bond.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

moderation note: Discussion successfully moved from VCP: VMware Certified Professional to VMware vSphere™ vNetwork

How do you connect to your storage? Do you use IP storage, like iSCSI or NFS? This will greatly influence your network design.

How many VMs do you want to run on your servers? Will be 2 x 1GB enough for your VMs?

If yes you could create 2 vSwitches, each with 2 vmnics assigned:

vSwitch0:

vmk0 - Management traffic, vmnic0 active, vnmic1 standy

vmk1 - vMotion traffic, vmnic1 active, vmnic0 standy

vSwitch1:

1 VM Portgroup per VLAN, vmnic2 active, vmnic3 active

This would be a common approach without IP storage. The vMotion and management traffic will be seperated, but will have failover capacity.

Regards

Tim

0 Kudos
parkarnoor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi,

Great. got it.

we don't have iSCSI storage. it will be Direct connected SAS storage. after one month time we will be adding 4 more ports to both hosts.

around  30 VMs will be on these hosts.

as per above network configuration, all the ports will be trunked with physical switch right.

Noor Parkar
0 Kudos
parkarnoor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HI,

I am able to configure as per above configuration.

We don't have IP storage and now we have 8NICs all 1GB available in each ESX host.

if there is any need to change above or better NIC configuration for VMware HA cluster setup, considering physical switch redundancy.  then please recommend.

Noor Parkar
0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi parkarnoor,

See the attachment from the Network Example section of my post here.  That's an old copper design I did a while back, but is still relevant.  Personally, I would blend ports across NIC cards to create the bonds, and use multi-nic vMotion.  Since you don't use network storage, you can use more NICs for your guest bond.

0 Kudos