VMware Cloud Community
kgottleib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMs not communicating through cisco 4001i module, can't ping gateway

We just buit IBM blade with a cisco nexus 4001i 10gE switch module. The service console communicates through a different networking module, but the VM networks are mapped to NICs that use the cisco nexus 4001i running over 10gE.. unfortunately the service console connections are working fine, but the VMs can't ping the gateway. We move the VMs over to the service console network and they work. The NIC adapaptors are configured at 10,000mbps but are showing up at only 1,000mbps.. We currently do not have any dv-switches set up and are running on standard v-switches within ESX, which leads me to this question: Does VMware require the nexus 1000v to work with the cisco 4001i? ALso, another symptom, the cisco discovery protocal doesn't seem to be collecting the information from the switch from these adaptors that are connected to the 4001i but do collect the switch info from the other networking modules.

Any one have any ideas what are we doing wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
paetecsfb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Had a very similar issue with very similar hardware. Turned out to be an issue with a configuration between the Nexus 4000's and the Catalyst series switches they were connected too.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kgottleib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I built a windows server on one of the blades and mapped it through the same nic that is mapped to the cicso 4001i 10gE switch and it worked fine, this tells me this is definatelyt a problem with VMware, could someone chime in the on this please?

0 Kudos
paetecsfb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Had a very similar issue with very similar hardware. Turned out to be an issue with a configuration between the Nexus 4000's and the Catalyst series switches they were connected too.

0 Kudos