VMware Cloud Community
Fluxblocker1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMs and remote subnets

We have a very small implementation of VMware vSphere 5.5 with 3 hosts and only a couple VMs so far.  One VM is a Windows 2008 R2 server.  Every client on the local subnet can ping and communicate with this VM from their Windows 7 workstations and from other physical servers.  However, no hosts on any of the other subnets on our WAN can communicate or ping the VM with the Windows 2008 R2 guest OS.  Each office is connected by physical routers.  Each physical host can ping each other no problem - on each LAN or across the WAN.  There are no VMs or ESX hosts on any other subnets.  The ESX hosts are on the local subnet. So again, I can't ping from a remote subnet to the VM or vice versa, but hosts on the local subnet can ping in both directions without any issue.  Do I need to create virtual routers to connect to these other physical subnets?  It seems like it would be something very easy but I am new to VMware.  I will be extremely grateful to anyone who can get me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This should work without issues. Please double check the VM's network settings to ensure the subnet mask and/or the default gateway address are configured correctly, i.e. no typos.

André

View solution in original post

2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This should work without issues. Please double check the VM's network settings to ensure the subnet mask and/or the default gateway address are configured correctly, i.e. no typos.

André

Fluxblocker1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh my GOSH!  How idiotic of me not to check that to start with!  :smileylaugh:

But it wasn't a typo - the default gateway was just plain MISSING.  I do not think I would have left it blank; it must have just gone away on its own.  I will have to monitor that.  Weird.  Anyway, thank you a million times over!

0 Kudos