VMware Cloud Community
Mike_Deardurff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM network traffic speeds half of what expected.

Hello, 

Here is my dilemma. Ive been doing some file transfers and such between VMs on different ESX hosts and on the same host and have been getting weirdly slow speeds.  Ive run the tests on hosts at our datacenter and then also hosts here at our office elminating storage and switches.  Not using VDS however but datacenter hosts are configured in etherchannel.  Hosts at office are just route based on originalting port ID.  Version level is ESX4 update2.  Speed tests run on multiple utilities, over a Gig network, show only around 400-500Mbps when on the same host and around 300-400Mbps when on different hosts. Terrible considering when i run the same tests on physical machines in the office i get almost 800-900Mbps, near Gig speeds.

Working with VMware support on this but am not getting anywhere.  Im just curious if other people have noticed this issue or have had the same problem.  I will be upgrading to ESX4.1 soon to see if this helps.  Any ideas or input is appreciated.

Thanks

mike

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

most of the time the support would be able to solve it. what's the advise and findings from them?

0 Kudos
Mike_Deardurff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So far support has escalated and they are still investigating, however no real answer has been given.  Im actually surprised at the lack of results.  Its unual for vmware support.  We've tried changing just about every network setting, from vmxnet3 to the e1000s and the likewise.  Theyve been requesting me to run additional network tests.  Ill keep you posted

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

at times we would run wireshark and see if anything bad we could dig from there. worth a try while waiting for the support to get back to you.

0 Kudos