Any other ideas ?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
esxi1979
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The issue was ( suspecting) that it was at the external switch trunk ports  .. they did not enable the vlan yet so we saw issue of  network on the VM..

So not on VSS to VDS migration as such

thanks all

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

I don't think the two settings you mentioned are related to the issue. Please provide some more details about the issues itself (unable to communicate internally and/or externally, network loss, ...) and describe your setup or post a screenshot.

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
esxi1979
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Let me give more details

A VM is moved from a cluster of 4x to 5x cluuster

In v4 it was on vswitch

In v5 it moved to same vlan but on vds

Vm was moved as cold migration .. came up fine

its updated  by vm "edit setting", network  labelchanged

Now user says he can not ping GW from that host

I do not have access to VM & user is busy so he has not given the root passwd yet

Hope this is clear now

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How was the vSwitch/port group on the original host configured, i.e. was it configured for EST, VST or even VGT? Is it possible to ping other VMs on the same port group?

André

esxi1979
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

On original it was conf a- vswitch0 as vmk0

I checked already on vds its the 1st & only port & shows as "linkUp" state

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

"vmkX" port groups are used for VMkernel functions like Management Network, vMotion, iSCSI, ..., but not for virtual machine traffic. It might help if you could post a screen shot of the old vSwitch and the port group to which the VM was attached as well as the current dvSwitch configuration.

André

0 Kudos
esxi1979
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

My bad, its a VM, so its the front end ip for the same ...

SO its a vlan for vm traffic only

Its already moved from the vswitch0 .. i did not took screen shot b4 the move ..

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hard to help without knowing the configuration. Please provide the screenshots I asked for and just mark the port group to which the VM was connected.

André

0 Kudos
esxi1979
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Sure .. Let me try the drivers update my removing the current vnic & also h/w version upgrade .. if still stuck i will get back with more details..

0 Kudos
esxi1979
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Also I observed run time mac is not showing on the VDS for this VM ..

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Can you confirm the VM's virtual NIC has "Connect at Power on" enabled in its settings, i.e. is "Connected"?

André

0 Kudos
esxi1979
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

yes yes that is checked already ... I am waiting when the user if free i can play with the vm...

0 Kudos
Dynamax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you upgrade the hardware version you potentially will lose the IP address on the VM. Are you sure the new dvportgoup has the same teaming settings as the VSS portgroup?

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

esxi1979 wrote:

I do not have access to VM & user is busy so he has not given the root passwd yet

Since this is a linux VM, please log into the guest and ensure the MAC address is correctly configured.

VMware KB2002767

VMware KB: Networking does not work in a cloned Linux virtual machine

esxi1979
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

MAC adress is the good point, I did not have access to VM so could not check.

User has moved the VM back to old subnet (cluster) Smiley Sad without allowing me to take a look.

But good overall discussion here .. Thanks all..

If i get the final hand on the VM i will keep u ppl posted.

0 Kudos
esxi1979
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

"new dvportgoup has the same teaming settings as the VSS portgroup" is also a good point. It shuld be same but i can check tomorrow as the user has moved VM back to VSS

I do not agree on below tho "If you upgrade the hardware version you potentially will lose the IP address on the VM"

Thanks for replaying

0 Kudos
Dynamax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry, it is Windows machines that may lose the address if you do not use the vmupgradehelper. I overlooked some detail in your post and assumed your VM was a Windows OS.

0 Kudos
esxi1979
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

NP .. appreciate you sharing you comments,  thats was matters, it was new learning  for me that with windows this happens.

0 Kudos
esxi1979
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The issue was ( suspecting) that it was at the external switch trunk ports  .. they did not enable the vlan yet so we saw issue of  network on the VM..

So not on VSS to VDS migration as such

thanks all

0 Kudos