VMware Cloud Community
canuck1234
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM Management Host can't ping gateway or switch

Hi

We have a Esx 5.0 host server with 3 vm's on it. When I try to ping the vm management network from my pc I do not get a response also when trying to ping from the vmn console I can't ping the gateway but I can ping dns. I can however rdp into the vm servers and ping the gateway from each server as well as log into vsphere. We do have a voip system with 2 vlans one for data and one for voice. The host and servers are all on the same cisco switch.

VM Management Network

ip - 192.168.1.6

sub - 255.255.255.0

gw - 192.168.1.1

dns - 192.168.1.10

Cisco switch- 192.168.1.3

Data Vlan - 192.168.1.1

Firewall - 192.168.1.2

From pc

- can't ping 192.168.1.6

- can ping everything else

From Management network console

- can't ping 192.168.1.1 to .3 or any pc's

- can ping 192.168.1.10

It sounds like a switch issue but not sure how to fix it. The switch itself is a cisco small business pro 8 port switch

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Make sure your L3 routing has a network defined to get traffic from your host network (192.168.1.0 /24) to whatever network it's trying to reach. You didn't show what the subnet for the PCs are so I'm not sure what network that is.

As far as pinging the gateway, ensure that ICMP echo is enabled by the firewall so that ping responses can traverse back to the host. If you still can't ping the gateway with that on, there may be a larger issue with your connectivity.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - It sounds like a problem with your gateway - like it is not there - you are able to ping other nodes on the subnet but not able to go through the gateway to other networkls

I have also moved this to a more approriate forum

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
canuck1234
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

From the VM servers I can ping everything

From my pc I can ping everything except the vm host server

From the management console I can only ping the vm servers - it cant ping anything else

I can also ping everything from the switch with the exception of the VM management network

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

For me this seems like virtual machine firewall issues. What guest operating systems are you using? Do you know if they have internal firewalls and how they are configured?

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Make sure your L3 routing has a network defined to get traffic from your host network (192.168.1.0 /24) to whatever network it's trying to reach. You didn't show what the subnet for the PCs are so I'm not sure what network that is.

As far as pinging the gateway, ensure that ICMP echo is enabled by the firewall so that ping responses can traverse back to the host. If you still can't ping the gateway with that on, there may be a larger issue with your connectivity.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
canuck1234
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It turns out that Kaspersky was blocking vpn traffic once I reconfigured that all devices where talking.

0 Kudos