VMware Cloud Community
mbrkic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VLAN list displays wrong on n1000v uplinks after upgrade to 1.5

We see a very curious thing after upgrading our n1000v to 1.5 (on vSphere4 - ESX 4.1):

If you look in vCenter, under the networking inventory view, on the ports tab of the data uplinks list for the n1000v the host uplinks all show a strange list of VLANs under the VLAN-ID column. Before the upgrade the VLAN list correctly showed the list of allowed VLANs in the uplinks (as shown from both VEM and VSM perspective) but after the upgrade this list changed to "6-15,17-41". The curious thing is that none of these VLANs are even used in the environment and none of them exist either on the VSM or the upstream network devices. The VEM, VSM and other network devices all still show the correct VLANs, so fortunately, everything is functionig as expected, the workloads have proper connectivity etc. The only thing is that this vCenter display is wrong.

Has anyone seen this behaviour and has any suggestions why we might be seeing this? We have talked to both Cisco and VMware support and both are buffled by this.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lwatta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

After some more investigation we think this a bug on our side. We are still investigating but I have a bug-id that you can track if you like.

the bug-id is  CSCtz24512

louis

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
lwatta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Interesting. I see the exact same thing on a clean install.

Not the exact vlans but a similar list.

Let me do some digging and I will get back to you.

louis

0 Kudos
mbrkic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks for the confirmation.

I am looking forward to your findings.

Cheers,

Milos

0 Kudos
lwatta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I talked to Engineering and they confirmed that the VSM does not push any of this information to vCenter.

So somehow vCenter is discovering this information on its own.We are not sure how as even in our own labs it appears as if its picking VLANs that don't exist

We are still looking into it.

louis

lwatta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

After some more investigation we think this a bug on our side. We are still investigating but I have a bug-id that you can track if you like.

the bug-id is  CSCtz24512

louis

0 Kudos
OsburnM
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I can also add that this occurs regardless of ESXi & vCenter version.  After the VSM & VEM upgrades we also noticed, so we also upgraded vSphere.  After upgrading our test vSphere infrastructure from vCenter 4.1U1 & ESXi 4.1, the problem remains.  At this point it appears cosmetic as all functionality remains.  It's nice to see other peopl are having this issue.

We've opened a case with VMware but will also be following this thread as well.

0 Kudos