VMware Cloud Community
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

VLAN id 4095 on a portgroup?

What would be the meaning of setting VLAN id 4095 on a portgroup to a virtual machine?

Would it be a port where all VLANs is forwarded to? If so, will the 802.1Q tag be left on the frame when delivered to the VM?

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

That's correct, also know as VGT (Virtual Guest Tagging) where the VM will remove the VLAN tag vesus the vSwitch

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

That's correct, also know as VGT (Virtual Guest Tagging) where the VM will remove the VLAN tag vesus the vSwitch

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Thanks for your quick reply!

So if I have a vNIC with 802.1Q support I would be able to have the VLAN tagged all the way up to the VM?

If I have a vSwitch with, say, three portgroups and the first one is VLAN 100, the second is VLAN 200 and the third is VLAN 4095. Would the third portgroup be a member of both 100 and 200?

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Yep

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Thanks, and finally - if I have the 4095 portgroup with Promiscuous Mode allowed and start e.g. Wireshark, then I would get ALL traffic from all other portgroups and all VLANs from the whole vSwitch?

0 Kudos
samansalehi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry, may i describe all the issues:

1. the port that real NIC (physical nic) is connect must be "trunk".

2. if u have a VM with 172.20.1.15 and the other is 172.20.4.20 and want both of them with one NIC and one port, u have two ways:

first: to choose VLAN ID to "ALL (4095)"

second: to create different Virtual switches which connect to one and set the vlan for each of one.

these two solutions depend on the networking view, I mean the base of the Network+ and managing the network etc, broadcasting.

6.jpg

Saman Salehi