gedi78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VLAN Querry

I have two vSwitches that connect to different networks:

vSwitch0 (2 Teamed NICS): Connects to 10.0.0.x

vSwtich1 (2 Teamed NICS): Connects to 192.168.2.x/24

I need to virtualise servers on another network 192.168.1.x/24. Do I have any options besides getting another 2 NICS and configuring a vSwitch2?

Can I implement any form of VLAN on vSwitch1 so that I can house servers that I have on the 192.168.1.x/24 network?

Any help/comments appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, you can can change the current access port into a trunked port and then assign VLAN tags to vSwitch port groups. Create a new port group by going to Host and Cluster --> Configuration Tab -->

Networking --> Properties --> Add --> Virtual Machine. There you will see Network Label and VLAN ID. Add your descriptive label and then the correct VLAN ID. This will allow the vSwitch to add and strip VLAN tags as required. The VMs will need to be assigned to the correct network label to get the appropriate VLAN. This is the simplest way to use multiple VLANs with ESX. Here's a link that explains all the options.

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, you can can change the current access port into a trunked port and then assign VLAN tags to vSwitch port groups. Create a new port group by going to Host and Cluster --> Configuration Tab -->

Networking --> Properties --> Add --> Virtual Machine. There you will see Network Label and VLAN ID. Add your descriptive label and then the correct VLAN ID. This will allow the vSwitch to add and strip VLAN tags as required. The VMs will need to be assigned to the correct network label to get the appropriate VLAN. This is the simplest way to use multiple VLANs with ESX. Here's a link that explains all the options.

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As gary pointed you can set up a vlan - but you can also use your existing configuration - as long as physical nics on the vswitch plug into a physical switch that sees the 192.168.1.x gateway you chould be able to connect the VM to a portgroup on that vswitch and it will be able to access the approriate network

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful