VMware Cloud Community
ChristianBisti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VLAN Problems

Hello everyone

I'm taking the first steps with VLANs in ESXi (6.5 is the one I'm testing on) and I can't do a trivial thing: I want all my VMs to be connected to a different VLAN than the management one, but that anyway can reach a common device (a NAS).

On the physical switch I created the necessary VLAN (10), I put in TRUNK the port connected to the ESXi host, and set it as TAGGED for VLAN 10

All other devices connected to the switch, including the NAS, must be in VLAN 1.

So far I have made several attempts, but without success. The VMs in VLAN 10 are able to see each other and reach other physical devices in VLAN 10 (so the port in TRUNK does its job), but they do not reach the NAS which is on VLAN 1 (I also tried to configure the port on which is connected as TRUNK and TAGGED 10, but nothing to do).

What is missing?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Be careful when talking abut a "Trunk". This can be something different depending on the switch vendor. For most vendors it has to do with channeling/aggregation, for others it's basically another wording for tagged ports.

Anyway, what I'm missing in your description, is where you do the routing between the subnets.

André

0 Kudos
ChristianBisti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is it mandatory to use different subnets?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

No there's basically no requirement for using different subnets, but it may make sense for traffic separation, security, etc.
It basically depends on your environment, and what you want/need to achieve.

André

0 Kudos
ChristianBisti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Now I'm doing just for test, but I have to replicate it in a little production enviroment (just a bunch of PCs), so the separation of subnets makes no sense.

Now my problem is: How to make virtual machines in ESXi moved under VLAN 10 (already created) to reach VLAN 1?

0 Kudos
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For traffic to cross VLANs you need routing. If your switch is L3 you can setup routes so that the subnet associated with VLAN 1 can route to the subnet associated with VLAN 10.

--Alan

0 Kudos
ChristianBisti
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So it must all be managed by an external switch? Isn't a possibility for vSwitch to manage VLANs internal? 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You don't necessarily need a physical device to do the routing, there are also virtual routers available, even free (no cost) ones.

André

0 Kudos