VMware Cloud Community
Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VLAN ID Trunk

Dear All,

i have ESXI5.1 with 1 NIC, however i want to create two VLAN's 20 and 10, and want them to be seperated for test purposes,

i've created a Vlan Trunk 4095 and vSwitch for Vlans 10 and 20,

the problem is now when my Machines are connected on the Vlan 10 or 20, they can contact my Physice network which is behind the ESXI NIC,

can someone please advise how to do this? or i do i need extra NIC ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
piaroa
Expert
Expert

Hi there,

You'd need to trunk the VLANs you need to the NIC on your ESXi (in this case 10 and 20), plus make sure you keep your management network available. Apart from this you'd need to create 1 port group for each VLAN on the ESXi vSwitch and add the VLAN ID to each.

It should work this way.

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dear Piaroa,

is this possible with one NIC?

0 Kudos
piaroa
Expert
Expert

Totally possible with one or multiple NICs. Just make sure you configure the port on your switch where the NIC is connected to with the right VLANs you want to use on the vSwitch.

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

if i do this all Vlans will be able to communicate with my Physique network?

ESXI 192.168.2.10

my laptop 192.168.2.106

ISP router 192.168.2.254

Vyatta 192.168.4.1

DC 192.168.4.2

EX 192.168.4.3

Database Server 192.168.10.2

0 Kudos
piaroa
Expert
Expert

Yes, just make sure you trunk all the right VLANs to that NIC, and that  you have the correct config on the physical switch and on your VMs (like the right GW for the different subnets, etc).

0 Kudos
Centosuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thank you for your help,

i can ping the physique network from both Vlan's, however from the Physique network i can't ping the Vlan's,

what i am doing wrong?

i can ping 192.168.2.106 from Vlan 4 and 5

i can't ping Vlan 4 and Vlan 5 VM from the 192.168.2.xx

0 Kudos