VMware Cloud Community
akash1980
Contributor
Contributor

VEM install issue- URGENT

Help please...

Scenario is we have a ESX5 U1 cluster with couple of hosts, trying to add couple of more with the same ESXi build number, then trying to add host to VSM.

First I tried to install VEM to host by adding host to VSM from vcenter but it fails with error message " DS operation failed on host xxx.local, An error occurred during host configuration. got (vim.fault.PlatformConfigFault) exception"

Then I tried installing manually. Downloaded VEM (cisco-vem-v131-4.2.1.1.4.1.0-2.0.1) by accessing the VSM webpage then tried to install from putty but no luck I get following error message. Then I have compared existing servers VEM version, which is Cisco-vem-v131-esx 4.2.1.1.4.1.0-3.0.4. I am not sure from where we got this version of VEM when it’s not there on VSM. May be previous engineer manually downloaded from somewhere.

[VibFormatError]
This VIB is a ESX 4.x VIB and is not supported on this version of ESX.
   filename = /vmfs/volumes/datastore/cross_cisco-vem-v131-4.2.1.1.4.1.0-2.0.1.vib

I am trying to find Cisco-vem-v131-esx 4.2.1.1.4.1.0-3.0.4 on VMware/ Cisco sites to download, but no luck.. Does anyone have this file? Any clue how to resolve this issue?

Many thanks,

0 Kudos
6 Replies
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have deployed a ton of these on 4.x and just recently deployed a new 1000v farm on 5.1 so the version referenced here will be based on what was available on cisco.com at that time.  Versioning is very important so you should ensure your network guys (in charge of the VSM) are on the same version you are shooting for.  It's ok to have the VEM a bit behind the version of the VSM, but in general you want to keep them the same.

Download the following zip file from cisco.com (register for a instant free account, no serial# needed):
Nexus1000v.4.2.1.SV2.1.1.zip

Note:  VMware typically makes the VEM downloads available via my.vmware.com under the vSphere downloads.  However, they are a bit behind so the latest is currently only available on cisco.com

Next, on your Windows laptop, extract/unzip and locate the VEM folder.  This is what you will copy up to the host (i.e. enable ssh on the ESXi host, then upload using WinSCP in SCP mode, or alternatively use the datastore browser to upload).  It's ok to upload the entire VEM folder if that's easier, or you can just copy over the one file you need:
VEM510-20121019150119-BG-release.zip

My example below assumes the whole VEM folder was copied.  Use WinSCP to stage the binary to the /tmp directory on the ESXi host, then issue the following command (adjust path as appropriate for your case) from a console or ssh session on the host (of course this could all be done via vCLI or PowerCLI if so inclined as well.  But this is the easy mode install here).  The following is an example install, followed by the command used to confirm your VEM and VSM versions:

~ # esxcli software vib install -d /tmp/VEM/VEM510-20121019150119-BG-release.zip
Installation Result
   Reboot Required: false
   VIBs Installed: Cisco_bootbank_cisco-vem-v150-esx_4.2.1.2.1.1.0-3.1.2
   VIBs Removed:
   VIBs Skipped:

~ # vemcmd show version
VEM Version: 4.2.1.2.1.1.0-3.1.2
VSM Version: 4.2(1)SV2(1.1)
System Version: VMware ESXi 5.1.0 Releasebuild-838463

PS - If you don't like the method above, an alternative is using VUM.  If configured properly it should install the VEM module automatically upon attempting to join the new host to the vDS / 1000v.  You may need to point to the cisco depot to be successful in trying that option.

0 Kudos
akash1980
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much fo reply.

I managed to find Cisco-vem-v131-esx 4.2.1.1.4.1.0-3.0.4 file, then installed through VUM.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
NightcatNL
Contributor
Contributor

Can you tell me where you found it... I still can't find it 😞

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi NightcatNL,

Welcome to the communities.  You can set up a free account (i.e. using gmail to register is fine) on cisco.com.  From there you can find all the documentation and downloads.  If you come up with a new or unique question as you work on this upgrade, feel free to open a new thread so you can award points for those that help you along the way.

0 Kudos
akash1980
Contributor
Contributor

I found dump on one of our internal file share servers. I wish I could share the dump, but I don't have access to it now.

It's strange that we can't find that particular version anywhere.

0 Kudos
NightcatNL
Contributor
Contributor

Got the answer from Cisco:

The VIB file is downloadable as part of a package from http://www.vmware.com/patch/download

The following link shows which VEM bundle has the corresponding VIB file.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/4_2_1_s_v_1_4_a/compatibility/infor...

For example, VEM500-201108271.zip has cross_cisco-vem-v131-4.2.1.1.4.1.0-3.0.4.vib. The bundle can be downloaded from vmware website.

0 Kudos