VMware Cloud Community
Kimie
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to see the vSwitch information in Networking View after removing unused vDS

I created a vDS and did not use it.  This morning I removed that vDS (and it disappeared from view in Networking).  But, when I did this, all the vSwitch0 VLANs also disappeared from view in the Network view, however the vSwitches are still configured and working on the hosts and no VM guests experienced any network issues.  Any idea why I can't see the port groups/VLANs of the VS in networking view anymore?

Also, I tried to re-create the vDS that I deleted above.  I could create it without issue (I used a different name for the new vDS), but I am unable to add the VLAN port groups that were configured in the previously deleted vDS.  I get an error that the "VLAN is in use" when attempting to add the port group.  I read something about a 24hr time out period to delete a vDS.  So, if I wait until tomorrow morning, will I be able to create the port groups AND will I be able to see the vSwitch configuration again????

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you tried using the "refresh" link on the network page of the host? Might just need to rebuild the view. It sounds like the previous vDS never actually deleted, and when you try to create the VLAN on the new vDS it's referencing the previous vDS.

Easy way to see the network at this point would be to jump on one of your hosts via SSH and issue the esxcfg-vswitch -l command. It will show you what's actually there.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
Kimie
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!  I did try the refresh but it didnt work to bring back the vswitch vlans.  I restarted the virtualcenter service on vCenter server to resolve the issue.  it was a sync issue between vcenter and the client

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Excellent. Weird, I had that suggested in my original response, I must have accidently edited it out with that esxcfg command suggestion.

Anyway, cheers!

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
Kimie
Contributor
Contributor

Yes - it was a weird one.  Even vmware support had never seen it before  Smiley Happy  Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos